Winter tires are softer compared to the regular tires because it is better on the road surface to improve grip on the road, especially on snow, slush, and ice.
Best Winter Tyres Reviews
- 1 Best Winter Tyres Reviews
- 2 What is Winter Tyres?
- 3 Winter Tyres and how they are used?
- 4 What types of Winter Tyres are there?
- 5 This is what we check in Winter Tyres Reviews.
- 6 Buying the Best Winter Tyres
- 7 FAQ about the Best Winter Tyres
- 8 Conclusion.
- 9 Links:
What is Winter Tyres?
Aka snow tires are tires used during winter as snow makes the road slippery that causes most of the accident when there is snow on the road. Winter tires differ because of the tread depth of 8mm or 9mm, unlike the regular tire is between 7mm to 8mm.
Winter Tyres and how they are used?
They use winter Tyres during winter and snowy weather, it is effective for places that have a below 7-degree Celsius temperature. Most drivers prepare their car for the snowy season and make sure that their vehicle is ready by replacing their tires with winter tires.
Those who use this tire interchange the summer tires for winter tires when snow season starts. It is not advisable to use winter tires during warmer weather because it will wear out.
- Best used on snowy, slushy and wet roads.
- Will save you money from repairs if you use a regular tire.
- Works best for temperatures below 7-degree Celcius.
- Faster braking system and lessens skids when you brake; This is because winter tires can dig deep and brakes.
- Greater traction and best grip on the road
- There are only a few where it is mandatory to have winter tires, other people just decide whether to buy sets of winter tires as they prefer. In other places, it is mandatory to change your tires to prepare for winter.
- Winter tire can be tough on an asphalt road.
- Winter tire also wears out quickly because of its softer rubber quality. Using them when it is not winter is a surefire way to ruin the tire.
What types of Winter Tyres are there?
There are four types of Winter Tyres such as
- There are embedded studs within the tread
- Embedded studs provide the additional traction
- Tough to dig into the pavement, used on roads covered with ice.
- Produces noisy sound while the vehicle is in use and running.
- 3-peaked mountain and snowflake symbol on the sidewall.
- They allow vehicles with less than 4600kg weight up to 130 studs per tire while allowing 175 studs for vehicles that weigh more.
- Used on four tires and not on two front tires alone.
Non-Studded Winter Tyres
- There are no embedded studs on the tire, but there is a difference in materials used to manufacture the tire, such as rubber compounding, tread designs, and other advanced technologies.
- There are a 3-peaked mountain and snowflake that you can see on the tire sidewall.
- Maintains flexibility in freezing weather.
- Increase in rubber flexibility that allows tires to maintain traction even with icy, wet, and snowy road.
- Deeper tread depths that make the tire manage snow dispersion efficiently.
- There are thousands of tiny slits seen in tread patterns called sipes. That helps in acceleration and stopping.
- You can see a 3-peaked mountain and snowflake on the tire sidewall.
- Best tire to choose for winter conditions with rain and snow that melts fast.
- What makes this tire different is the usability of this tire on both cold and warm temperatures.
- They can use it on the vehicle all year round with no replacement.
- They cannot use it for hard winter conditions as it performs lesser compared to the winter tires.
- M+S emblem on the tire sidewall.
- Perform best on slightest snow condition, mild road wetness.
- Do not perform and standard winter tire in severe snow.
- It has better traction compared to summer tires in snow and ice.
- You can use it when you are just driving in mild snow conditions.
This is what we check in Winter Tyres Reviews.
Safety during winter should be a priority. Most especially that snow makes it hard to see the road and could be dangerous for anyone driving under this weather. Here are 4-important factors that we have checked like the materials used on the winter tires, the price of each tire, its longevity, and what cleaning is needed to make it last longer. You may read further.
We found out they make winter tires up of 6 elements that have a unique role such as the carcass ply, the beads, airtight rubber, the sidewall, the tread, and the crown plies. There are cheaper priced winter tires, but the quality of the materials is also not top quality.
There are manufacturers of winter tires that are trusted by many such as Bridgestone, Goodyear, Continental, Falken, among others. Manufacturers of winter tires, as mentioned, have the most durable type, and thus the longevity of the tires is also ideal.
Some manufacturers of winter tires have higher priced tire because of the brand, while other brands priced their product just right. If you want to go for the more durable tires, you may have to choose the higher-priced tires as it is also an assurance that the winter tire will last.
Cleaning tires is also important for its longevity. Checking tires from time to time for any foreign embedded object or any small holes gives you enough time to fix it at the earliest opportunity.
Buying the Best Winter Tyres
There are plenty of shops where you can buy winter tires, or you can also go to the seller where you buy your vehicle. They can service it, and you just have to pay an additional amount.
- You will need to know what tire size you have, or you may let the seller check what tires will fit your vehicle
- Check each tire on display or the seller’s sample tires.
- You may have to decide on which you will purchase, snow tires, or ice tire.
- What roads you are driving on is it just city roads, highways, or side roads?
- How often do you use your car and invest in tires that are of top quality because there is less incident?
- Many sellers will also give you a discount if you would buy from them, but make sure you are getting the right tire and not just because they give you a discount for another tire brand.
- Buy the same tires, and do not mix them as this will be as dangerous.
- You need to have a budget and do not overspend on tires without thinking twice and comparing prices.
- Check fine prints of warranty, make sure you understand what they include in the warranty, and for how long is it in effect?
When you buy online, you can get recommendations from close friends or family members who also bought winter tires.
- What you can do is to make a price comparison while you are browsing online. There are also online pricing that you can use while looking for a tire.
- Make sure you are looking at the same tire and the same price as it can get confusing when you are browsing for a product to buy online.
- Do not also purchase immediately without double-checking what you are buying and making sure that what you are paying for is the same tire you are planning to buy.
- You may need help from someone who will fix the tires, but if you are a DIY man, then it should be easy for you to finish the job.
- Always ask about the warranty and what they include. Make sure that with the warranty, you are also getting your money’s worth.
FAQ about the Best Winter Tyres
Do I need to put my winter tires in storage when not in use?
Yes. It is a must to store them in a cool and dry place and should not be left outdoors. The basement is the best storage place for your winter tires. If it is a very hot and humid place, then it is not the best place to store your winter tires.
How do I stack up against my winter tires when in storage?
It is ideal to store your tires vertically instead of horizontally to prevent tire distortion. Also, place a block of wood on the floor before you place the tires.
What if I don’t have a garage to store my winter tires in?
There is seasonal tire storage available where you can store your tires for a fee. Usually, your tires can be stored up to 6 months. Samples of manufacturers that offer tire storage service are Citroen, Peugeot, among others.
How long can I store my winter tires without using it?
Tires can last for several years as long as you store them in the right condition. It should not be under the sun, near any heat, getting soaked in water, and only placed vertically while in storage.
What are the best-selling winter tires today?
Firestone Winterforce 2 – High grip and great traction in slush, or snow. High performance and long-lasting.
This tire uses a cold-weather compound molded in the tread pattern and wide lateral notches, open the slot plus deep circumferential grooves.
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 – With confidence road grip feature and fast-breaking on ice. A biting edge because of the 3D zigzag Sipes. The hydrophilic coating that makes stopping a breeze every time. The bite particles that are likened to hundreds of studs to provide road grip and better traction every time you are on icy roads.
Goodyear UltraGrip Winter Radial – The winter tire to choose during a snowy blizzard or simple, snowy weather. The tire has high traction capability and a great grip on the slippery road.
Sumitomo Ice Edge Snow Radial – Considered the best tire for severe snow performance. A tire specially engineered to fit the needs of every vehicle user for every winter road condition. There is a specially manufactured tread compound to give the superior performance every driver is looking for. The 3D sipe technology gives this tire the ultimate bite and grip on snowy roads.
Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 – Manufactured to give the users the best performance in snowy weather. This tire’s tread pattern makes it possible to give it a good grip and traction on slippery roads. Premium quality brand from a trusted manufacturer. Affordability comes with exceptional quality.
Cooper Discoverer M+S Winter Radial Tire – With snow-groove design technology that provides a biting edge for excellent snow and ice traction and enhances safety while on a slippery road. The D squared sipe technology is added for the best winter performance.
The rib and blocky tread pattern elements enhance the stability of the tires.
Although you can get recommendations from your friends or family on which winter tire to buy, it should be a tire that meets your needs. Think carefully about where you will use the tire, how often, and your driving habits, and then you can relay this to the seller as they will guide you during the process of buying a winter tire.
You should also buy winter tires at the earliest time because the price of winter tires goes up when the need for such tires increases. They should also keep winter Tyre storage in mind as the need for correct storage is a must to make sure that your tire will still be usable after a few months. It is not advisable to leave your winter tires during summer as this will also have the same danger as not getting a winter tire for winter.