It has been depicted in old movies as a vehicle that flies above the ground’s surface. It has been a long vision of people to be able to ride freely like they are floating and moving, at a speed with the use of a hoverboard. In this article, we will discuss the supposed fascinating device so you may have more ideas about its design and how it works.
Best Hoverboards in Comparison
- 1 Best Hoverboards in Comparison
- 2 What is a Hoverboard?
- 3 Hoverboard and how it is used?
- 4 Types of Hoverboard
- 5 This is what we check in Hoverboard Reviews.
- 6 Buying the Best Hoverboard
- 7 FAQ about the Best Hoverboard
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 Links:
What is a Hoverboard?
It is a motorized device or personal vehicle with a platform where your feet are placed, and it runs on two wheels with the rider controlling it with the use of their weight. It uses lithium-ion batteries that are rechargeable. Also, it is like a skateboard, except that you don’t need to push it with your feet for it to move.
Hoverboard and how it is used?
The user can stand on the platform between the wheels and turn on the power, so the speed and the direction can be adjusted according to the user’s preference. The feet apply weight to the platform to control the speed and show where the direction of the board will be. The speed can vary from six to ten miles per hour, while other boards can go as fast as twelve miles per hour.
The rider can wear protective gear, but there are those users who ride it without. First-time riders need to get used to getting off and on the board first before attempting to move the board. Standing and balancing should be mastered as well. Other movements that require some practice include turning, moving besides getting on the board.
- A hoverboard is easy to learn. Some can get used to it in less than 15 minutes, while others can get used to it in less time.
- Although the price may be steep for some, it can be fun to ride a hoverboard. This is the reason it is popular with many people.
- A hoverboard can be brought anywhere since it only weighs 8 to 10 kilos or a bit more for some brands but still manageable. There is an inclusion of a free bag when you buy one from some sellers. This is a portable vehicle to use.
- The hoverboard can be convenient to users cause they can go to nearby places with it. They allow a hoverboard in some school campuses, so getting to your classes is fast and easy, no need to walk. It is also used by those who work nearby their place, and a hoverboard can get them to their workplace.
- It does not give off any smell or doesn’t have any smoke that can harm the environment. Recharging is required, though.
- Children can also enjoy using a hoverboard as they train and get used to balancing.
- There is a danger of falling from the hoverboard. Falling does not only apply to kids, but adult users as well.
- Hoverboards are not allowed anywhere, and there are just a few who will allow users to run around the area. They do not allow it on public roads or highways and the sidewalk. Users must first check before they can use it in any place.
- There are incidents of a hoverboard catching on fire, and mostly because of badly-designed, cheap hoverboards. It may be because of the battery used in its manufacture, where it overheats and expands until it explodes.
- You are also not allowed to bring it on the plane cause of the lithium battery it contains.
- It is dangerous to use on highways, and it is not user friendly for those who are older users.
Types of Hoverboard
According to wheel size
Big or broad wheels. It has a 10-inch size wheel that gives ultimate power to the board. There is no danger of sliding or slipping while on the road because of its size. It has more traction, and balancing with this hoverboard is easier. This is the best model for people who have difficulty with balancing and can better carry a person with a heavier weight in comparison to other hoverboards that have thin wheels.
However, it reduces the climbing capacity as the enormous wheels add to the weight.
Medium wheel size
Mid-range wheels that are big enough to give you a smooth travel experience. It is also possible to climb in some steep areas, plus balancing is also easy with this wheel size. There is also not much issue with its traction cause it can be used safely on the road without falling or skidding.
What is good about this small wheel hoverboard is its mobility because it is lightweight and easy to maneuver. This size can easily carry kids more than adults. Kids weigh less, hence the easy mobility.
According to the number of wheels
It has a single wheel in the middle of the hoverboard, requires a bit of practice for users cause you need to learn to balance really well compared to the two-wheel board. It can run at 15mph maximum.
This is more stable compared to the first two samples. Controlling it is also simple, and an adult or a kid can use it with a minor issue.
This is what we check in Hoverboard Reviews.
Even though hoverboards are just a figment of our imagination decades ago, it is now being realized. However, it still needs some improvement to make it more futuristic. The materials, price, longevity, and cleaning are what we focused on as well cause these four factors are important in every product.
They make hoverboards using balance boards, handlebars, electric motors, and sensors that can detect speed and the tilt angle. There is also a gyroscope that receives the data from the sensors when there is a tilting movement. There are also switches on the footpad. They wire the board with sensors as the rider moves and depends on how he tilts and pushes on the footpad.
Some materials are being used nowadays by some manufacturers that boast a high-end design and cost more.
A well-maintained hoverboard can last years depending on your handling and how you care and maintain the device. Incorrect charging will also shorten its lifespan. The best way to care for your hoverboard is by following what they write in the manual when you purchase it.
Simple hoverboards can cost $100 to $150, while the high-end design can cost between $200 and can reach thousands of dollars for a more advanced piece. The more features a hoverboard has, the more expensive it is. The price will also depend on the number of wheels, the wheel size, and add-on innovations.
Buying the Best Hoverboard
With a hoverboard, it may be best to purchase in a store as compared to buying it online. You will be able to see the hoverboards on display and try each. Let us discuss some ideas when you buy a hoverboard in a store or online.
Buying it in a store
- Types of Hoverboard. Once you are in the store, you can check out the different types that the store carries. There are hundreds of designs and models to choose from. Compare each feature and know the battery power, the speed of each, what materials they use, including the motor type.
- Speed. There are different speeds to choose from, a mere 7 miles per hour, there are also 12 miles per hour or more.
- Your weight. The rider’s weight and height very significant in choosing your hoverboard cause some hoverboards may carry a heavier person easily, as compared to another hoverboard.
- Weight of the hoverboard. This is essential if you are going to bring your hoverboard with you and you need to have a lighter board. One important factor is if you have a smaller frame and you can’t afford to bring your hoverboard with you at all times when it weighs too much.
- Wheel Type. The wheel that you should choose should depend on what terrain you are going to use your board.
- Add-ons. If you have extra money to spare, you can choose the best board with unique features. There are models in the market that are more advanced and high-tech, you may need to spend more though for this type of hoverboard.
- Warranty. Since this is a device, you need to have a backup when anything happens to your board. A warranty could offer you more for your money.
Buying a Hoverboard online.
When you buy hoverboards online, you may have to know for sure about the specifications you want from your board. You cannot see the board or try riding it, so research what model you would like to buy.
- Is it safe to buy from an online seller? This is what you should focus on when you are buying from an online shop. You can read comments, reviews, and testimonies from previous buyers, take time to do so.
- If the price is too low, it may mean something. Do not buy from an online seller that is offering you the product at such a cheap price cause this may be a hoax or there is something wrong with the product.
- Ensure that the seller has the model that you are after. The seller must have the model and the design that you like, otherwise, do not buy from that seller, especially when they keep on offering you a different model instead of the one you are after.
- Discuss the warranty. Ask if the seller offers a warranty, and for how long.
FAQ about the Best Hoverboard
How hard is it to ride a hoverboard?
It depends on your balancing and how fast you can improve it. Sometimes a person can learn to maneuver a hoverboard in a few minutes while others cannot control the hoverboard, even with many trials and practice.
Is it tiring to ride a hoverboard?
Some first-time users of hoverboard find it a bit nerve-racking and exciting as well. The fun is being able to control it and finally ride your hoverboard. It will be tiring at first, especially if you are not good with your balancing, but it will ease up after.
Can hoverboards catch fire?
There is previous news that came out reporting about a hoverboard that catches fire for some reason. It was learned that that the hoverboard is not well made and has a low-standard battery.
Will there be future hoverboards that hover?
How long does a fully charged hoverboard battery last?
A fully charged hoverboard can last a minimum of three hours to seven hours. Although, there are newer models that can last longer.
Hoverboards if used correctly can make your life convenient since you can use them to travel inside the campus or near your home (if allowed) or wherever you may see it fit to use. Although there are still questions about its use in some locations, but as long as you are following rules, and making sure that you are in the right area when you use your hoverboard then you are in the clear.