Vitamin D supplements are trusted in our society today cause it is a reliable method in preventing some bone health issues. Although Vitamin D can be naturally derived from getting exposed to the sun, it is not that recommended because of the UV radiation and skin cancer risk.
Best Vitamin D Supplement in Comparison
- 1 Best Vitamin D Supplement in Comparison
- 2 What is Vitamin D Supplement?
- 3 Vitamin D supplements and how they are used?
- 4 What types of Vitamin D Supplement are there?
- 5 This is what we check in Vitamin D Supplement Reviews
- 6 Buying the best Vitamin D Supplement
- 7 FAQ about the Best Vitamin D Supplement
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 Links
What is Vitamin D Supplement?
Using a Vitamin D supplement arises because of the disease called rickets, which is a condition that affects bone development in children.
Another benefit of having vitamin D supplementation is in athletes who have a deficiency in the said vitamin and may be prone to bone fracture.
Vitamin D supplements and how they are used?
Vitamin D supplements are usually prescribed in cases of vitamin D deficiency or if they find any insufficiency. The most common forms of Vitamin D supplements are ergocalciferol aka Vitamin D2 and cholecalciferol or Vitamin D3. The dosage will depend on the severity of the bone issue or the lack of Vitamin D in the body, for people who don’t have an issue with absorbing the said vitamin, they have prescribed an oral supplement more than once every week for a month and a half up to two months.
Some are given treatment for an oral dose that would last for three months or until it achieves the desired result, and there is a normal level of vitamin D in the body. For those with a more severe need for Vitamin D in the body, they have prescribed a daily oral dose until it reaches a sufficient level.
For those who have issues absorbing Vitamin D in the body, they are checked and were recommended dosage depending on the physician’s advice.
- Play a role in fighting diseases such as a reduction in a person’s risk for multiple sclerosis.
- Heart issues, decrease with the right level of vitamin D in the body.
- Keeps the immune system strong.
- Having the right amount of Vitamin D in the body helps in reducing depression as it regulates mood. Those who have a steady level of vitamins have improved symptoms and lessens the feeling of desolation.
- Reduces feelings of anxiety to those people who are prone to such.
- Aids people who want to lose weight. People who are trying to keep fit find out that their appetite lessens with the intake of the vitamin D supplement.
- Helps in warding off infectious disease such as tuberculosis and other viral infections as well as respiratory tract infection both in children and adults.
- Reduces the risk of autoimmune diseases such as asthma.
- Helps reduce the risk of osteoporosis and gives a normal muscle function for the elderly, plus it reduces the risk of falling in elderly people, especially those who are above 60.
- Excessive use of Vitamin D supplementation may be a risk for hyperparathyroidism, hypercalcemia.
- For pregnant women, it may be risky to take the supplement without consulting their doctor.
- May cause nausea, vomiting, and anorexia.
- May lead to polyuria, weakness, insomnia, pruritus, and eventually, kidney failure.
- In young children, overuse of Vitamin D may lead to mental retardation, irritability, weight loss, depression, and abnormal bone growth.
What types of Vitamin D Supplement are there?
There are two forms of vitamin D dietary supplements: Vitamin D2 or ergocalciferol and Vitamin D3 or Cholecalciferol.
Vitamin D2 comes from plant sources that include fortified foods like cereal or milk, then there is the wild mushroom source. We can measure the strength of a vitamin D supplement with an IU or what we call international units. Vitamin D cost less to produce and is commonly incorporated in fortified food products.
Vitamin D2 is commonly used to treat hypoparathyroidism, low levels of phosphorus in the blood, rickets that are vitamin D resistant. Vitamin D3 is derived from animal sources, which include the liver, egg yolks, fish oil, or fatty fish. As your skin is exposed to sunlight, it can produce vitamin D3, hence it is also called the sunshine vitamin. They also measure strength in IU.
Vitamin D3 can treat hypoparathyroidism as well, osteoporosis prevention, and Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D3 also produces more calcifediol levels in the blood compared to Vitamin D2.
This is what we check in Vitamin D Supplement Reviews
If we can only have the sunshine to rely on for our Vitamin D requirements, but we can’t because of many factors, hence the need for Vitamin D supplements. We checked the four important factors when buying a product, and in vitamin D supplements, there are also factors such as the materials used, price of the product, longevity, and cleaning.
Vitamin D supplements such as D2 or D3 may include yeast, and some may come from several sources such as Lanolin, which is derived from the wool of a sheep, may contain fish oil, e.g. Cod liver oil, and also ingredients such as algae oil that is vegan friendly. They make vitamin D supplements available in a chewable tablet, sprays, and liquids.
As with other medicines or supplements bought in the market, there is an expiration date that you have to note. Some may think that it still has the same effect even after the expiration date, this will make it less potent and may not work as you would expect. The ingredients that are in the supplement may break down over time and will become less effective. The typical shelf life of most vitamins and supplements takes two years in ideal storage and if not exposed to extreme environmental conditions.
Correct storage is also the key to keeping the potency of your vitamin D supplements. It should not be left inside the bathroom cabinet or kitchen cabinet if there is too much humidity in that place. Always keep your vitamin D supplements in a cool, dry place and away from sunlight. You can place your vitamins in the fridge, but not at an extreme temperature where it can freeze over. You may also check the label for any specific storage requirements and directions.
Buying the best Vitamin D Supplement
You may get confused while you are out shopping for Vitamin D supplements as there are huge options for you to choose from out there, but whether you are planning to buy one in-store or online, some of these tips can help a bit.
- While you are out buying in-store, make sure that you are getting the ideal dosage and not any supplements that are below or higher than what was prescribed. Follow what is directed, and you can’t go wrong.
- Some manufacturers boast of a product that is more potent and pure compared to other products, they may also have a higher price more than the other, and it is up to you to decide whether to take that offer.
- You may check the labels of the product that you are planning to buy since there is the potency written at the labels or the expected dose. Better to look for USP-verified supplements, as this will have an assurance of potency, and best to choose soft gels made with organic palm oil or virgin olive oil. Take your pick.
- If you are not keen on using supplements that have an animal-derived product, then pick one that is vegan-friendly. Usually, Vitamin D2 is vegan friendly because they produce it with the use of mushrooms and yeast. Vitamin D3, on the other hand, is derived from animal sources such as skins of fatty fish and sheep lanolins.
- There are tablet form and sublingual form of vitamin D supplements, sublingual is more superior in breaking down and can be absorbed swiftly compared to tablet form.
- Pick one that you know is manufactured by a trustworthy company and will also give you the best price that is more affordable. Most of these companies will have their name on the line, so will produce better supplements.
- Check the manufacture date and expiration date, do not just go buying anything that you see without checking.
- If you are not sure which product or brand to buy, checking online for reviews will help you and, you will learn more about the supplement, such as the occurrence of allergy by users, if they encounter any issue with the product, among others.
- Compare prices online. There is an available website that will let you compare different products and will let you see the price difference as well. If you are not sure which to pick, this will help you, at least with your decision.
- Buy from a trustworthy seller cause sometimes some sellers transact spuriously, and you may get an old stock or a product that is not the best up to a standard.
- If you are unsure about the seller, best to read reviews about the said seller as well. If they are a great dealer, you will read positive reviews online, and if not, you won’t find anything good to read about them.
- If you have a prescription, make sure that you get the brand that has all the prescribed dosage.
- Buy the product that you can afford, and that is also ideal for your kind of budget.
FAQ about the Best Vitamin D Supplement
What are the best known Vitamin D supplements that can be purchased nowadays?
Vitamin D3 10K IU by Pure Encapsulations
This is the best there is for those who have a severe vitamin D deficiency. With a dosage of 10K IU, that will surely provide the required Vitamin D but best with a prescription by the healthcare provider.
This brand is hypoallergenic and gluten-free.
Chewable Vitamin D3 by Now Foods
This brand of Vitamin D3 supplement is best for those who would rather have chewable instead of tablets. Some people are not keen on swallowing medicine or may have difficulty doing so. This is a sweetened chewable vitamin D3 with 5K IU. It has xylitol and sorbitol content with vanilla and peppermint flavors.
Vitamin D3 by Nordic Naturals
Excellent product that is affordable and has no additive. It has no GMO and is third-party tested, plus it is gluten-free. With a small capsule to help with your supplement intake. Made by a company that is highly trusted.
Hi-Po Emulsi – D3 by Designs for Health
Vitamin D drops for those who may have difficulty swallowing tablets or capsules. This is a super-concentrated type of vitamin D3 where even a small amount will give you the required dosage. You can even mix it with your favorite drinks or just take it per drop. No sugar, flavor, or colorings.
Vitamin D/K2 by Thorne
Vitamin D3 – Vegan Liquid by Pure Encapsulations
A vegan-friendly vitamin D3 supplement that will provide the required dosage to users. They derive this one from yeast or mushrooms and is in liquid form to help you take it with less fuss.
The benefit of taking vitamin D supplements outweighs the disadvantage as many people are deficient in this vitamin. It is a good thing that vitamin D supplements are made available. By having vitamin D supplements, there are now other options to have the required Vitamin D in the body even without sunlight.
As always, care is still required when taking any medicine or supplements. It is better to be smarter than sorry later on.